How Did I Get Here part 2

Lets continue where we left of. For those who just clicked on this blog post, the beginning of this story is here: How did I Get Here Part 2

ALIVE WAY

When I have formed a band and randomly called it Alive Way, I was the one in charge. I took up a girl manager, we had a mutual goal, to get rich and famous, and so we began to work towards that goal. She was as green as I was, even though I was already working in so called "music business" for more than 3 years, I felt like a mentor to her, even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing. So we made a lot of mistakes, we made those mistakes together, blaming environment for those mistakes (well, who else to blame apart from environment). But we did learned a lot from those mistakes. The very important lesson which I learned was "If you feel like you are the best at what you do, you probably aren't". It is not a lesson to follow blindelly, because there are upside of thinking positively about yourself, and, of course downside. In this case, it was more of a downside. So we kept blaming environment, but improving daily, because the more we got rejected the angrier we became and the more energy we put into achieving our goals. So we were rehearsing, improving songwriting, recording new music, improving our recording quality and to our surprise, the more and more festivals invited us to perform, the more and more venues wanted us to perform and slowly our following increased. In two years we have already performed in the biggest Lithuanian festivals, got to finals in Eurovison song contest and were kind of on the road to success. But, the one thing is always an issue. When there are people in the band (in many other cases it can be a company or a group) that takes it for a hobby, and there were people like me and the manager who were trying to make it a full time career, this kind of goal difference cause arguments. And slowly, it rose to a rage where it was no longer possible to continue performing together. I was angry that people don't take it serious, they were angry that I was becoming a bitching perfectionist who is always complaining that something isn't right. And after 3 years of Alive Way I have decided that it came to an end. So, the band went separate ways. Again. And at that point it looked like music as a business was a bad choice. So I decided to stop pursuing musician career.

After some time, one radio region CEO called me, since I was presenting new songs on their shows. They were looking for a new radio dj and a show host and asked me if I  was interested in trying out this career. I accepted the offer. The first day was terrible. It looked like a 8 year old is trying to read and tell a story. I thought that this will be the first and a last day at work. But CEO kept tolerating me and in about 3 weeks I learned the basics, found my voice tone which sounds the best on radio and it looked like that I might be here for a while. So there was another lesson, and that lesson was that you can learn almost anything if you try hard enough and keep doing it. So during 2 years of working in radio as a DJ/Host I have learned the basic skills that actually really helped me to grow not only as a musician, but as a person. I have decided that I have put aside music for too long and that it was time to come back. My very good friend who is a junior surgeon at hospital said, lets form a band, and I said, well, if You find a drummer and learn to play bass, than let's do it. So he bought a bass guitar, learned to play from chords in about 3 or 4 weeks (again, the same lesson, a guy with absolutely no musical background learned to function as a bass player within 3 or 4 weeks, he wasn't the best bassist on earth, but he definitely did the job) so he found a drummer and the band Justin 3 was born. I will continue in the next blog post

CONCLUSION

One of the things I learned is that sometimes you need to take a step back in order to see a full picture, and that if you are persistent enough, you can do almost anything. I have way more to share so stay tuned and keep your head up high.

Komentarai

Populiarūs įrašai